Sunday, January 17, 2010


Ok! I have get myself in the I am return mode and start to talk nonsense again ^_^

Have not been to work since Monday last week *snicker & wicked grin*! Why you ask? Am I playing 'ponteng kerja' you ask? brave as I am and outspoken sometimes, I am not as brave as putting my livelihood on the line like that. Oh, did I mentioned that I most probably only going to start work this coming Friday if all goes well? Gosh, so that dash the thought that I am on leave to clear my leave does it not? Hehehe..this suspense is fun!

Actually, I am on medical leave till this Thursday and depending on the follow up with the doc this Thursday afternoon, I might or might not be allowed back to work on Friday. Of course, my boss is not happy about that but basically, nothing much he can do because MC is MC (but I do dread to think of my performance appraisal).

Oh, you are asking how come I have not been to office since last Monday yah?? Well, you see, the story is like this:

The weekend after we got back from our 'go-back-hometown' trip, just after New Year day, I suffered a sudden back pain. Went to the clinic nearby and all was well by Tuesday with the painkiller and 1 day of rest on that Monday. Then on last Saturday, while trying to get up, suddenly I was in this really really really horrible pain. I mean, if you sprained anything before, I can tell you, this pain is worse than a sprain!

On Saturday, it was still not too bad. Not too painful unless I bend to far and such. But on Sunday, I basically was in pain all the time, i.e. each step is the biggest torture in my life. Imagine I cant really sit because this would mean my back will send sharp shooting pain to my brain and my butt and leg literally start to feel numb! At one point, I was literally crying in pain and this really got babe attention because he realised it must be really bad. Damn, that really scare me.

That night, walking up the stairs took me 5 minutes because I had to keep stopping! The next morning, first thing was going to the clinic again. This time, doc gave me lots of medicine including painkiller, anti-dizzy pills (because the only painkiller I am not allergic will make me dizzy and feel like vomiting...sigh! Dread to think when I am preggie and I am not allowed any pain reliever because I am allergic to it!! GGRR), muscle relaxant, gastric pills and another one.. I cant remember. Basically, I remember I had to take 5 pills at a time, 3 times a day.

Doc must be really worried too because he wants me to be back at his clinic first thing next morning if the pain is not better because he will give me a letter of referral to a specialist. After another painful medicated drowsy haze, went back to the doctor on Tuesday, got the referral letter and babe took half day and went to the medical center with me. Doc actually tells me, if the pain is too much to bear, go straight to the A&E (accident & emergency). He actually address the letter to: "Orthopedic doctor, A&E".

Now, most of you would have thought this would have been warning enough to me how severe this is. Frankly, babe & I just thought we will see the specialist, got super powerful jab; do either MRI or x-ray and get send back with long MC and bags of super strong painkiller. Never in a million years did we thought I will get admitted! That is when we both realised, GOSH! This is really bad. Well, actually I was more like, oh..great....they can inject me directly to my spine and get me out of this torture!

Needless to say, they didnt do that but I did get a jab in the doctor's office because I cant get up from the examination bed/table! I am not joking. After the doc examined me and told us that he wants to admit me, I tried to get up from the examination table with babe's help but each time babe tries to pull me up, I just had to ask him to stop because I feel as if I am breaking into half at the waist! In the end, doc says refuse to let me get up until he gives me a jab.

Thank god he did too because the admission itself took more than 1 hour! Apparently, there is no 4 bedded room available (that was my request at first because I didnt know I am entitled up to RM200 per night room :P). Then I just cannot stand it anymore and told them to just get me to the 2 bedded room (which cost RM150 per night!). I finally only got properly admitted and in my bed at almost 5pm! (I reached the medical center at 1pm..which means 4 hours of hell...sigh).

Then at 6pm, I got a call to go to the physical therapy and I thought, huh? I have backache and I am gonna do exercise??? How the hell am I going to be able to get thru that without fainting when even lying in bed on my back is painful? Even more apprehensive when the nurse pushed me passed a whole row of equipments you normally see in gym! Then she pushed me through another door passed all the equipments and lo-behold, physical therapy as in infra heat therapy, ultrasound wave therapy and gentle massage therapy...that kind of physical therapy. PHEW!!! (Frankly speaking, I told babe that it feels like going for massage with different rooms and massage bed/table.)

I finally got back to my room where babe is waiting at around 7pm. Dinner is waiting at the table. Oh, I didnt tell you that the patient get complimentary meals? Hehehe! I was too exhausted by then and just had about 1/3 of the meal. Babe helped himself to the rest :)

2nd day, Wed, all alone in the hospital for the whole day. Babe wont be able to come and I told him not to anyways. No point for him to waste his leave just sitting around with me at the hospital and I can call him if something serious happens. So, me, ready to face the uncertainties for the day. Doc came at 8am to check up on me. He arranged for MRI and 2 more physical therapy for the day. By then, I am definitely better than the day before. At least I am able to get up on my own by pulling on the side of the bed railing.

Doc diagnosis from the MRI report shows that I have a tear, buldging & narrowing disc which is caused mainly by the deterioting condition of the disc where the fluid in 3 of the disc are all gone, i.e. dried up. Apparently, this is more and more common for people in my age group although it should only really happen to people in their 40s and above. (DAMN! I am old already!!).

AND the best news, since I am much much better by that afternoon doctor visit, I can go back the next day and recuperate at home! HOORAY! By then, I am very very sick of the place! UGH! Nothing much to do except SLEEP, EAT, PHYSICAL THERAPY and watch TV (Oh did I mention they actually have Star Movie, HBO, AXN and a few other channels. I think about 10-14 channels total).

Seriously, I really had no idea why the doctor admit me to be very frank. I mean, I can basically do my own heat therapy at home with a hot water bottle and take the painkiller at home and sleep and rest at home. Why admit me at all if there is no intention to do more than that? Babe had the same opinion. The doc could have just arrange for a MRI on the initial consultation itself and finds out the exact diagnosis instead of admitting me first.

We suspect it is because the insurance are the one footing the medical expenses incurred. And pretty hefty bill too for 2 nights and 3 days stay at the hospital with 1 MRI, 2 physical therapy & twice a day painkiller equals to RM1800+! Thank god for company insurance!

Anyway, I am home now. Much better. Back pain and right leg only starts when I sit or walk more than 1 hour at a time without lying down to rest my back. RK calls me old lady because of this! (BLUEK!). I also discover that I get tired really fast compare to before the injury. Start to recognise when I break into cold sweats, it mean time to rest. Started taking 2 scope of Anlene starting today. Was told that I should take Vitamin D too to aid the absorption of the calcium. Must find from Chinese physician what herbs I can take to improve my condition. I simply do not believe in the doctor's comment that there is no cure for disc deteriotion such as this! Wish me luck!!!!


Sumuk said...

you must take a lot of rest and never never carry heavy things. Babai was diagnosed with slip disc in 2008 and also went for the therapy sessions. he did massage in kuching, which turned out to be really good for him too.

JenJen's Place said...

Hi Sumuk,
Wow! Seems that this problem is pretty common nowadays yah? Yah, need to be careful liaw but sometimes forget...

Rose said...

Oh dear, that sound serious. Hope you get well soon. And no! You are not that old!! Hahaha!! Btw, I am going to KL for 2 days starting tomorrow, it would be a short trip. I wouldnt be able to catch up with you anyway.

Take care ok??

JenJen's Place said...

dunno whether serious or not almost 2weeks off from work oredi. Dunno doc gonna give more mc or not this Thurs during our follow up.

What u doing in KL? Business trip?