In this speech, basically I made use of the fact that it is almost end-of-year and people are pondering on what they have achieved in the previous years and come up with their new year resolution. However, I didn't just review the year 2007 as it is just too short and predictable to do. Hence, I delved even further into the history of my life and divide the speech into 3 segment of lifecycle, i.e. child, teenage and adulthood. As much as possible, I try to inject some humor and change my vocal variety by mimicking.
Below is the draft that I used to prepare for my speech 7 but of course, it is just an outline of what I intend to say and present but I did add on to it during the presentation as sudden moment of inspiration comes...
Finally, start with a clear mind and relax. Most importantly, have fun!
TOPIC: UNFORGETTABLE MOMENTS
METHOD: NARATIVE & TIME SEQUENCE
PURPOSE: To tell audience about unforgettable moments during childhood, teenager and adulthood
- end of year approaching
- new year resolution?
- Before that, Look back at life as passing the big 30!~
- Remembering about silly, happy, sad, exciting events in life
- childhood – ghostly encounter
- love to watch ghost movies
- so scared hide behind pillows/mom/dad/anything
- now no more but I know some guys rather die than watch ghost movie
- one nite, watching till late at night
- mother warned don’t watch and go to bed – nightmares
- being a kid, just ignore and watch till the end
- get ready to bed, bed next to window
- look out of window into the jungle,
- suddenly see a light floating, getting brighter and brighter
- run like rocket to my parents room
- I was 9
- teenager – have the most 1st time experiences
- In kuching is all gals school
- Innocent, naïve, cute….
- relocated to new school in bintulu, studied for 2.5yrs
- 1st time in co-ed school
- 1st time actually see guys fighting over gal - Only seen tat in tv
- 1st time received love letter & going out on first date.
- 1st time holding a guy hand & feel his sweaty palm..ugh!
- 1st time having secret admirer (not so secret since I know who he was!)
- Many other 1st time – that I will never forget
- I was 14
- adulthood –
- when I was 21, that is the 1st time away from home for long period
- go to study in Nilai, N9
- taste of freedom
- I remember my housemate knocking at my door at 7am for our class at 8am
- she find me just about to sleep – chatting on my computer!
- And the time I will skip classes (ssshhh) and go take the ktm to KL for shopping, movie and occasionally, clubbing
- Last minute cramming for exams and looking like panda the next day
- Remembering those days really makes me smile sometimes at my silliness
- Those were the days
So, yah, I had a good 3 decades. Given the choice, there is nothing that I think I want to change in my past. And as the year 2008 approach, I look towards the future and know that I will create many more memories, unpleasant ones to learn from and happy ones to tell my grandchildren about.