Friday, June 6, 2008

RM0.78 per litre Increase - Day 2

The hot topic of the day, increase of petrol price by RM0.78/liter making us consumer having to pay RM2.70/liter for something that is considered as daily necessities. And to suddenly raise the price so much overnight, I really don't know what our leaders are thinking. Do they think that the rakyat (people) will just accept it and not say much? Are they trying to give the opposition more bullets to shoot them with? Or just trying to commit political suicide? Needless to say, after experiencing a few times increase in petrol, we more or less can estimate what to expect. The prices will come tumbling and every traders and business will increase their price in the effort to survive.

I don't even want to contemplate what the outcome will be like. Even yesterday, just one day after the announcement of petrol price hike, I can already see the effect on price. The brand of rice that babe used to buy was RM28 two month ago, last month was RM35 and yesterday, when I look at the pamphlet front Carrefour, it was RM40! Even the lower grade rice are selling for more than RM25 per packet of 10kg. I wonder how much higher the price going to get for our staple food. Do we really have to resort to what the idiotic leaders are telling us to do? Switch to potatoes and bread!? I can survive on those but I think my babe will be too weak to think, what more to say work.

Amid all this, I came across a webpage that slams at me really hard the reality of how vulnerable humanity are. The comics from Paul Gravette's website reminds me that there are people that had and still suffer worse things in life than price hike in petrol and everything else. This are the people that risk their own lives to rescue those in need. It reminds me how great the love of a person is for another being. It reminds me how great the sacrifices our parents are willing to make for us.


So, yes, due to the price hike, our lifestyle and the life as we know it before yesterday will change forever. But as most things, life goes on as this too will pass. It will be a learning experience for all of us and eventually, it will be a distant memory to share with our kids and grandkids. In the meantime, lets all pray for the lives that was lost in the earthquake especially those who gave their own lives so that others can survive. Perhaps our leaders need a big dose of medicine in humanity as well. Then they will know how the rakyat is suffering from the extreme price hike and indecisive directions from the leaders.

3 comments:

Dav DiDi said...

Jangan undi Barang Naik ... (msn, I explain more)

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Siggghhh, life is going to be real hard from this point on ...

JenJen's Place said...

Nick,
Yup, 1 wk petrol = min. RM100 for me now....
Babe's = RM60 per wk.

Used to be RM60 and RM30....

Economy will suffer after tis..every1 dun dare to spend