Monday, February 4, 2008

Momo (Melting Moment)

2 part icing sugar and 1 part coffeemate

My momo baking in the oven


Beautiful white momo


I took leave today initially hoping to make my pineapple tarts, momo, horlick layer cake and cheesecake. But with the car trouble eating up most of my morning, I only managed to get the momo done today and after that I am just too lazy to continue with the pineapple tart. I have all the ingredient but I am just to tired to even contemplate making them tonight. I guess I will do both the pineapple tart and horlick layer cake tomorrow since one uses oven and the other is steamer.

I must say the momo turn out rather nice today despite the fact that I was exhausted from the heat and stress. This is actually one of my favourite cookie and I find that those bought from the bakery or stalls are sometimes not as nice, a little too hard and dont really melt in the mouth. To make the most light and fluffy momo, it is important to ensure that the flour is dry enough. Traditionally, this is done by dry frying the flour in a oil-less wok over small fire until the flour is slightly crispy to touch. But I admit that I cheated. I pour all the flour into a pyrex bowl and microwave the flour at high for about 5 minutes.

Momo recipe is really simple. All you need is one small can of ghee (about 1 cup), 1kg of flour and a mixture of 2 part icing sugar and 1 part coffeemate. Mix the flour and ghee together. Knead till the dough no longer stick to your finger (If it still stick, add a little more flour and knead again). Roll the dough into balls and line them on the baking tray. Make you squeeze them well and make sure it is really compact before rolling them into shape or else it will break during baking.

Bake in the oven at 200 degrees for about 20-30min or until the balls turn slightly brown. Remove from oven and let it cool down slightly, i.e. cool down enough to touch. Take each ball carefully and roll them in the icing and coffeemate powder. DONE!! Easy right???

oh yah, dont be tempted to taste the momo before it cool down completely or you will definitely burn your tongue!

5 comments:

KristyCK said...

Hi Jen,
You are very good in baking & cooking. :-)
I am wondering if momo and kuih makmur are the same thing. They looks yummy! :-)
Happy New Year to you and your family Jen.

Rose world said...

Jen! Finally! Some baking recipe from you! Hahahah! I also love Momo very much. Agree with you on buying from outside, never taste nice and it doesnt melt easily in ur mouth.

JenJen's Place said...

hi billy's mom,
(BLUSH) I am not good at baking lar. Still learning actually. It just that I learn from trial and error. So, can share the tips with others.

Errr... I am not sure if the kuih makmur same as momo actually. Not good with cookies name in Malay^_^

JenJen's Place said...

ppsstt..rose, perhaps u can make ur own when u get ur oven.

ck said...

hey jen i look thru ur bakings n almost die looking at the pics only. they're all lookin yummy!. btw, i came across ur blog frm searchin kuih momo recipe in yahoo. hehe. 1 cup of ghee is equivalent to how much gram ? cause im not sure how big is the cup u mean..cause i wanna try making momo :) ty