I bought a packet of pau flour the other day with the intention to make some steamed pork bun this weekend. But today babe is working, so cant go to the market to buy minced pork. Initially thought of going tomorrow but I simply cannot wait. I decided to try and make the steamed bun anyways with different fillings instead. I just want to make sure that I got the recipe for the dough right. Did a little research online and got a few steamed bun recipe. AND it turned out great! The bun was soft and yet chewy. Texture is great! I just cant wait till I get the minced pork tomorrow.
So, to share the recipe for the steamed bun dough:
350ml - Lukewarm water
3 tbsp - white sugar
1/2tsp - salt
2 tsp - instant yeast
1.5 tbsp - cooking oil
600gm - pau Floor
1. Mix the lukewarm water, white sugar and salt together. Add the instant yeast. Let the mixture activate and become slightly frothy (about 10-15minutes).
2. Add oil to the water mixture.
3. In a large bowl, add flour and make a well in the middle. Add liquid and gradually mix in the flour. Knead till dough is elastic, smooth and no longer stick to hand or side of bowl.
4. Make into 2 ball and leave in the bowl. Cover with wet towel and leave the dough to raise to about twice the size (about 30-60minutes).
5. Divide the dough into smaller balls and knead some more. Flatten into a rough circle. Put the filling in the middle and gather the edges. Put on cut parchment (baking paper). Leave to raise for another 20minutes.
6. Steamed for 10-15minutes.
YAHOO! Tomorrow gonna make the steamed pork bun!!