Have always wanted to bake apple pie but never got around to doing it. Today, finally I happen to have all the ingredient except shortening in the house. So, after dinner, we went to the supermarket and got my shortening. Since babe want to watch football, I decided to bake the apple pie tonight. The crust turned out really nice and yummy. The fillings abit too sweet for my liking so I changed the below recipe to 2/3 cup sugar instead of full 1 cup. Gentle reminder, when making pie crust, always try to keep the crust as cold as possible to ensure fluffy crispy light crust. If for any reason that the crust not bake immediately after being removed from the fridge, then pop them back into the fridge again until ready to use.
2 cups Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Sugar
6 tbsp Butter
6 tbsp Shortening
6-8 tbsp Iced Water
5 Green Apple (Peeled, Cored and sliced soaked in water mixed with lemon juice)
2/3 cup Sugar
2 tbsp Flour
1/ tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Cider Apple
1. Preheat the oven 400 degree F.
2. To make crust, mix in large bowl, flour, salt and sugar. Add butter, shortening and ice water. The texture will be slightly crumbly. Make into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Keep in fridge for at least 20minutes.
3. Prepare the fillings by combining sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and vinegar.
4. Drain the sliced apple and mixture from #3 to the above. Make sure all apples slices are rubbed with the mixture.
5. Take dough out from fridge and divide dough into 2 equal half.
6. Roll the first half into 1/3inch thick flat pancake. Line the pan.
7. Pour the fillings into the pan.
8. Roll the 2nd half into 1/3inch think flat pancake again. Cover the apples.
9. Bake in the oven at 400 degree F (or 200degree celcius) for 40-45minutes.
You can get a picture instruction from here: http://www.myhomecooking.net/apple-pie/Baking-Apple-Pie.htm